Pumpkin Ice Cream + Healthy Benefits of the Pumpkin
I know people that can’t wait for fall just because of the pumpkin. They giggle at the first site of that orange fruitable (considered a veggie and a fruit) stacked neatly, greeting them at the entrance of the grocery store. Searching through to find the perfect one for your porch decoration. Yep, that is me! I love the pumpkin! As a kid I remember the joy I had carving one up for Halloween. I can still smell the pumpkin as the candle heated up the inside of my jack-o-lantern. As an adult I love the pumpkin pie but the relentless wait for Thanksgiving to have my first slice of the holiday season is borderline torture! Now, I tend to eat “in season” so the pumpkin is still a fall treat. I get to enjoy it so many ways because I now pay more attention to my health. I realize that it is such a versatile food. I can enjoy it in a smoothie, in my hummus, roasted, mashed in my potato’s, mixed with my burger meat, roasted seeds and YES in my Pumpkin ICE CREAM recipe! Watch the video for an easy ice cream that will take you right out of summer and into fall! Happy pumpkin hunting!
9 Reasons You Should Eat Pumpkin!
- Pumpkins are an antioxidant and an anti inflammatory food! This means it helps with joint health, organ health, stress relief and soft tissue injuries!
- Pumpkins can help protect the eyes from cataracts and degeneration with their Vitamin A content.
- The high levels of Vitamin C help the immune system and encourages collagen production for the skin to maintain its beautiful glow and elasticity.
- Pumpkin is a great source of fiber to help wash out any toxins and keep your body running smoothly.
- Pumpkins hold enough carotids to give them their lovely orange color and help prevent premature aging and cardiovascular disease.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in protein and plant based fatty acids, which help regulate cholesterol levels, protect against arthritis, promote healthy skin, and improve brain function.
- The pulp and the seeds are rich in magnesium required for bone and tooth health.
- Pumpkin contains lots of potassium and zinc to prevent the onset of cardiovascular disease and hypertension (high blood pressure). Zinc is also great for the immune system, skin and fertility.
- The fruit contains L tryptophan, a chemical compound that triggers feelings of well being that aid depression in a smooth and natural way.
Thanks MindBodyGreen.com for this amazing run down of why we (should) love the pumpkin!
4 Organic Bananas – Peeled
1 Cup 100 % Pumpkin Puree (Not Pumpkin Pie Filling and no added sugar)
1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
1 TSP of Pumpkin Pie Spice
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Place in freezer safe container and cover. Ready to serve in 2-4 hours.