Spinach Sweet Potato Quesadilla with Mango Salsa
On my show live cooking “Lunch with Leslie” everyone was making fun of how I was saying Quesadilla! How do you say it? Oh well, no one was making fun of this amazing recipe, Spinach Sweet Potato Quesadilla with Mango Salsa. I made these with purple sweet potatoes and it was gorgeous. You can use any color you like because #cancerhatesit when we eat sweet potatoes!
Why Sweet Potatoes?
So many reasons to eat sweet potatoes. Here are just a few!
- Vit B6 – shown to be protective again heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s, and osteoporosis.
- Vit C – The super vitamin helps protect the body against environmental toxins that is linked to cancer. Also, it promotes a healthy immune function which is alway vital in all areas of our health.
- Iron – The energy mineral which helps us produce white and red blood cells.
- Magnesium – Crucial in the health of our blood, arteries, bones, heart, muscles and nervous system.
- Potassium – Helps us keep a regular heartbeat, supports our nervous system, reduces inflammation and helps protect our kidneys.
- Carotenoids – Beta-carotene is a powerhouse for supporting your fastest grown cells. Sweet Potatoes are loaded with it!
Spicy meets sweet with this nutrient dense treat! #cancerhatesit when we eat real food in a fun way!
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp grass fed butter or ghee
- 2 wholegrain or gluten free tortillas
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup grated raw cheddar
- 1 ripe mango
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 juice from lime
- sea salt
In a medium saucepan, heat 3 cups of water to a boil. Add sweet potato dices and cook 10 minutes or until soft. Drain water and mash sweet potato with fork or potato masher.
Add cumin, salt, and pepper to mixture and set aside.
While sweet potatoes are cooking, chop all ingredients for mango salsa. Add all to a bowl and refrigerate.
In a large skillet heat butter over medium-low heat. Add one tortilla spread sweet potato mixture on the tortilla, add spinach and 1/4 cup cheese. Place the second tortilla on top. Cook until crispy. Flip and cook until cheese is melted.
Remove from skillet and cut into 8 pie shaped pieces. Serve with a scoop of mango salsa in the middle.
If you do not eat cheese you can substitute mashed avocado with nutritional yeast mixed in. Please note it will not melt like cheese. Also, vegan cheese can be substituted for the raw cheddar.