Anticancer Hot Chocolate
One day someone said to me…”In a perfect world hot chocolate would be an anticancer food!” Well, their wish is my command! I set on making a recipe that would delight the taste buds and make the body inhospitable to cancer. I love hot chocolate. I love chocolate and every year when the cooler weather starts to show up I can’t wait for that first steaming hot cup of chocolate. Since I started making my body inhospitable to cancer, Swiss Miss was not going to cut it any longer (not even in moderation). It is times like these I feel grateful for being a food blogger and recipe developer. I knew I could make a yummy Anticancer Hot Chocolate. What I came up with is a rich cup of yummy excellence that your body will love and cancer will hate!
I selected the ingredients for this anticancer hot chocolate recipe very carefully. I wanted 99% of them to have some anticancer properties. Here they are one by one!
- Coconut Milk – Simply replacing a traditional dairy ingredient with a non-dairy plant based nut milk makes this an anticancer choice! Taste amazing in this recipe.
- Cacao – Natures gift to our bodies! The highest source of antioxidant on the planet is the only reason I needed to choose it for our recipe. The flavonols are proven to slow the growth of cancer cells. Tip, buy unsweetened raw cacao and organic if you can find it. The flavor is rich and decadent.
- Tumeric – 100’s upon 100’s of published studies of how turmeric can block every stage of cancer development. No flavor at all in this recipe.
- Cinnamon – improves immune function. New emerging studies are showing promise in the fight against cervical cancer. Also, studies are being done to measure its effects on melanoma. Add a depth to the recipe that you will love!
- Honey – Studies have shown promise with honey preventing the escalation of bladder cancer. Too much honey could feed cancer cells, don’t over do it. Eat honey in moderation. Look for local, raw and dark honey. Honey is the sweetener in this recipe and adds a flavor pop.
- Ghee – The combination of Vit A, butyric acid and CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) make ghee an anticancer super food! This combination helps fight off oxidative stress at a cellular level. In this recipe, it helps thicken things up a bit and give the anticancer hot chocolate a creamy texture.
Anticancer Hot Chocolate
2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
2 tbs raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa, save a few pinches for garnish
¼ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS raw honey or maple syrup
1 TBS of ghee
pinch of sea salt
In saucepan heat milk to a boil, whisk constantly. Lower to a simmer and add cacao, mix well. Add turmeric, cinnamon and honey mix well. Add ghee and whip with a whisk until frothy. Serve immediately with raw cacao garnish. Serves 2.