Watch Out for That Added Sugar!
Sugar is sneaky and food manufactures sneak it in everywhere. Learn added sugar names. Food manufactures are doing one of two things when they add sugar. They are adding it to enhance flavors or they are trying to disguise flavors. No doubt they are trying to enhance flavors because most foods that are pre-packaged or super processed have been cooked to death so sugar and salt gets added to, yep you guessed it, enhance flavor. When they are disguising it they are covering up those nasty chemicals and preservatives that they don’t want you to taste. ICK!!
Sugar has many names and here is a short list that you might want to beware of and be aware of!
Evaporated Cane Juice
Fructose (Fruit with out the fiber = Fructose = Sugar)
Fruit Juice Concentrate
High-Fructose Corn Syrup (Devil Sugar – Read This By Dr. Mark Hyman)
Top 10 Tips For Avoiding Added Sugar
- Read The Labels, remember real foods don’t need ingredient labels.
- Anything in a can, box, cup, bag, carton, jar, pouch, should be suspect and should be inspected looking for added sugar. Only use in moderation if high amount of sugar is found.
- Watch what you drink. Café Latte from Starbucks had 17g of added Sugar in 16 oz! Fruit juices, sodas, sports drinks, and bottle drinks in general should be inspected for added sugar.
- Know the Names of Sugar… see above!
- Choose whole fruit over candy or sweets!
- Watch out for those condiments. Ketchup, nut butters, salad dressings, bar b q sauces and more are filled with sugar.
- Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup at all cost! See This Article by Dr. Mark Hyman
- Use more spices. Using spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and vanilla will help detour you from adding sugar to things.
- Track your sugar in a log. Count and keep track of your sugar intake daily for about a week and establish where you are getting and can avoid extra sugar!
- Watch this previously recorded live broadcast about added sugar and the dangers of getting too much in your diet!